Feb. 12, 2011
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - For their second day in San Diego, the Wildcats took on the University of San Diego Toreros. The Cats fell just short with a 4-3 loss.
In the No. 2 position, Kim Stubbe and Lacey Smyth lost 8-4 to Josymar Escalona and Laura Claus. Last to finish were Susan Mc Rann and Jane Huh in the No. 3 position. Huh and Mc Rann lost 8-3 to Anna Depenau and Maja Sujica, giving San Diego the doubles point.
First to finish in singles play was Landsman in the No. 2 spot. Landsman beat Escalona, 6-1, 6-3. Huh was next to finish with a 6-0, 6-2 loss to Sujica in the No. 6 spot. Smyth defeated Claus, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 3 position. In the No. 5 position, Mc Rann lost to Depenau, 7-5, 6-1.
Fifth to finish was Marks in the No. 1 spot. Marks lost to Hoffpauir, 1-6, 6-2, 6-0, securing the match for USD. Last to finish was Stubbe in the No. 4 position. Stubbe beat Coupez, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
"Losing a 4-3 match is always hard but we got ourselves into trouble by losing the doubles again," said head coach Vicky Maes. "Only this time we wouldn't recover from it. We have some work to do this week as we're going into important matches with Utah and Rice. I'm confident we can beat any team but we need to be resilient and show a bit more attitude when it comes to game day."
The Cats return home to play Utah on February 18 at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
#49 San Diego 4, #58 Arizona 3
San Diego: 3-2
Hahn Tennis Center, USD
(1) Landsman/Marks (UA) def. Hoffpauir/Coupez (USD) 8-5
(2) Escalona/Claus (USD) def. #68 Stubbe/Smyth (UA) 8-4
(3) Sujica/Depenau (USD) def. McRann/Huh (UA) 8-3
USD wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) def. Natasha Marks (UA) 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
(2) Sarah Landsman (UA) def. Josymar Escalona (USD) 6-1, 6-3
(3) Lacey Smyth (UA) def. Laura Claus (USD) 6-4, 6-3
(4) Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Juliette Coupez (USD) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
(5) Anna Depenau (USD) def. Susan McRann (UA) 7-5, 6-1
(6) Maja Sujica (USD) def. Jane Huh (UA) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 5, 1*, 4