Jan. 25, 2009
TUCSON- The No. 50 Arizona men’s tennis dominated its dual match against visiting Nevada this afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, winning the match 6-1.
The Wildcats (2-0) jumped out early against the Wolf Pack (1-1) winning all three double matches and winning five-of-the-six singles matches.
“I was very proud of the guys this weekend,” Head Coach Tad Berkowitz said after the match. “Our guys showed a lot of professionalism and did not let up once we were ahead. This was a good weekend for us which prepares us for a top ten team in Florida.”
Jay Goldman, the only Wildcat to be ranked in singles play, saw his first action of the season playing in the top spot and defeating Garcin 6-3, 6-4.
Newcomer Andres Arango, playing in position two, made quick work of Alex Daruty winning in straight sets 6-0, 6-1.
Freshman Jason Zafiros for the second straight day made dominated his opponent beating Tony Bulich 6-1, 6-1.
Up next for the Wildcats is No. 10 Florida at the National Spring Kick-Off in Gainesville, Fla. The match starts 10:00 a.m. (Tucson time).
(1) No.18 Pat Metham/Francois VanderMerwe def. Laurent Garcin/Wessim Deibel 8-3
(2) Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi def. Alex Daruty/Kristian Kuharszky 8-3
(3) Andres Arango/Jason Zafiros def. Gabe Kanzelmeyer/Antone Bulich 8-4
Order: 3, 1, 2
(1) No. 88 Jay Goldman def. Laurent Garcin 6-3, 6-4
(2) Andres Arango def. Alex Daruty 6-0, 6-1
(3) Wessim Deibel def. Ravid Hazi 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
(4) Andres Carrasco def. Kristian Kuharszky 6-2, 6-2
(5) Pat Metham def. Gabe Kanzelmeyer 6-1, 6-0
(6) Jason Zafiros def. Antone Bulich 6-1, 6-1
Order: 5, 6, 2, 4, 1, 3