April 11, 2009
The No. 18 Arizona men's tennis team took on No. 9 UCLA in what was the final regular season match for the Wildcats. In addition to the final match of the season, the Wildcats were trying to beat the Bruins for the first time in program history. However, UCLA proved to be too much as they beat Arizona 5-2 Saturday afternoon.
The Wildcats (17-5, 2-4) knew if they wanted to pull off the upset, they would have to get off to a quick start and win the doubles point. However, the Bruins (15-4, 5-0) were too much for the Wildcats as they took the doubles point winning two of the three doubles matches.
In singles the Wildcats did not have much success as junior Pat Metham fell to No. 114 Nick Meister 6-4, 6-2 on court No. 5 and freshman Ola Bakke lost to Amit Inbar 6-2, 6-3 on court No. 6, giving the Bruins a 3-0 lead.
Sophomore Andres Carrasco had a rough start to his singles match losing the first set to No. 119 Michael Look 6-0. Carrasco battled back in the second set, but eventually fell 7-5. The lose made it 4-0 and clinched the match for the Bruins.
Sophomore Jay Goldman was able to put a stop to his personal two-match losing streak when he defeated Holden Seguso 6-2, 7-5 on court No.1. Goldman's win was the first match that any Wildcat had won this weekend in Los Angeles.
Up next for the Wildcats is the Pac-10 Championships. Arizona will travel to Ojai, Calif. from April 23-26 for the all day tournament as the final tune up for the NCAA Tournament.
1) Nick Meister/Michael Look (UCLA) def. Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) 8-2
2) No. 61 Amit Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) 8-1
3) Ola Bakke/Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Eugen Brazdil/Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) 7-6 (6)
Order: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 68 Jay Goldman (UA) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-2, 7-5
2) No. 95 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-7, 6-4, 10-6
3) No. 119 Michael Look (UCLA) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-0, 7-5*
4) Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) 7-6, 4-3 ret.
5) No. 114 Nick Meister (UCLA) vs. Pat Metham (UA) 6-4, 6-2
6) Amit Inbar (UCLA) vs. Ola Bakke (UA) 6-2, 6-3
Order: 5, 6, 3, 4, 1,2