The Wildcats took the first doubles match of the day in the No. 1 position, before losing two straight to lose the doubles point. First to finish in doubles, No. 22 pair of senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga defeated Nick Beuque and Mirza Koristovic, 8-1. Soon after, junior Daniel Andrus and freshman Bruno Alcala fell to Pierrick Ysern and Oscar Plotnik, 8-3. Finishing up doubles competition, junior Tim Mulane and freshman Claudio Christen fell to Robbie Blair and Thomas Liversage, 8-3.
In singles action, the Wildcats fell behind early and were unable to recover. Playing in the No. 1 position, for only the second time this season, O’Grady fell to No. 8 Ysern, 6-2 7-6. At the other end of the courts, Christen fell to Plotink, 6-2, 6-4. Trying to regain momentum for the Wildcats, Andrus defeated Koristovic, 6-3, 6-4. Continuing the momentum, Alcala, in a very similar match to his doubles partner, defeated Blair, 6-3, 6-4.
San Diego’s team regained all momentum on court 5, as redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse fell to Liversage, 6-1, 7-6. To finish out competition, Matalonga, in the closest match of the day, fell to Beuque, 4-6, 7-5, 10-7.
The Wildcats will be in action all weekend, as they will head to La Jolla, Calif., to compete in the 116th Pacific Coast Doubles tournament. Next week, the Wildcats will host No. 73 Memphis, Tuesday, Mar. 8, at 1:30 pm.
No. 29 Arizona 2, No. 53 San Diego 5
1. No. 22 O’Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. Beuque/Koristovic (SD) ?- 8-1
2. Ysern/Plotnik (SD) def. Andrus/Alcala (UA) ?- 8-3
3. Blair/Liversage (SD) def. Mulane/Christen (UA) ?- 8-3
1. No. 8 Ysern (SD) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) ?- 6-2, 7-6
2. Nick Beuque (SD) def. Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
3. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Mirza Koristovic (SD) ?- 6-3, 6-4
4. Bruno Alcala (UA) def. Robbie Blair (SD) ?- 6-4, 6-4
5. Thomas Liversage (SD) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 6-1, 7-6
6. Oscar Plotnik (SD) def. Claudio Christen (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-4