April 4, 2009
The Arizona women's tennis team (10-7, 1-4 Pac 10) finished out their weekend in the Bay Area with a 7-0 loss to No. 8 California (14-4. 5-2 Pac 10) Saturday.
For the second match in a row, the Wildcats lost the doubles point, conceding all three matches to Cal.
In singles, sophomore Jane Huh at the No. 5 spot had the first loss of the day against Cal's Marion Ravelojaona, losing 6-0, 6-2.
In the No. 2 spot, freshman Natasha Marks battled against the 42nd ranked Mari Andersson, but was unable to come out on top, losing 6-3, 6-4.
"I'm disappointed with our performance today." Said head coach Vicky Maes, "Even though Cal is the stronger team, I felt like we could have done a better job in terms of effort and attitude. The team went into the match intimidated and never stood a chance this way. I expected more of our group. At some point, we have to start getting over the fear of playing proven Pac-10 teams."
The Wildcats return home to take on their conference rivals from Southern California, USC and UCLA on Friday, April 10 and Saturday, April 11. The match against USC will start at 1:30 p.m. and the match against UCLA will start at noon. Both matches will take place at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. No. 6 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. No. 76 Marks/Rietsch (UA) 8-0
2. No. 20 Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Landsman/Steinberg (UA) 8-3
3. Bobusic/Chang (CAL) def. Huh/Masschelein (UA) 8-3
1. No. 10 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 94 Danielle Steinberg (UA) 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 42 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. Natasha Marks (UA) 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 21 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Sarah Landsman (UA) 6-4, 6-0
4. No. 47 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Ariane Masschelein (UA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) def. Jane Huh (UA) 6-0, 6-2
6. Stephany Chang (CAL) def. Debora Castany (UA) 6-1, 6-4