March 24, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona’s No. 31-ranked women’s tennis team earned its second-consecutive win in Pac-12 play as it defeated No. 72 Oregon, 6-1, at Robson Tennis Center on Saturday.
With the win, the Wildcats maintained their undefeated streak at home this season, stretching it to 10 victories in 10 matches.
Arizona started strong once again, earning the doubles point for the seventh-consecutive match and recording wins from all three teams.
“We are very pleased with this win,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “Oregon is a feisty team and they battle hard. Doubles play set the tone for us once again but we also did a good job of getting our singles off to better starts and staying on top of our opponents. “
In singles play, five Arizona players recorded wins, four of which were in straight sets.
Landsman was first to finish in her straight-set defeat of Trudie du Toit at No. 3, senior Debora Castany (Barcelona, Spain) posted a win over Rabea Stueckemann at No. 6 and Marks wrapped up the win for the Wildcats at No. 2 with her victory over Patricia Skowronski.
Stubbe also recorded a win over Sofia Hager and Mc Rann defeated Pacsale Neubert in a three-set thriller.
“We continue to perform with great confidence at home and hope to transfer that over into the next two weekends,” Maes said. “The team needs to bring that attitude on the road, something we have struggled with a little bit this year.”
The Wildcats will travel to California next weekend to take on a pair of top-10 teams, as they face No. 10 California on Friday, March 30 at 1:30 p.m. and No. 4 Stanford on Saturday, March 31 at noon.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to www.ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 6, Washington 1
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Skowronski/Hager (Oregon) 8-4
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Metzger/du Toit (Oregon) 8-5
3. Stubbe/McRann def. (Arizona) Stueckemann/Neubert (Oregon) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Julia Metzger (Oregon) def. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
2. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Patricia Skowronski (Oregon) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Trudie du Toit (Oregon) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Sofia Hager (Oregon) 6-4, 6-1
5. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Pacsale Neubert (Oregon) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
6. Debora Castany (Arizona) def. Rabea Stueckemann (Oregon) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2*, 4, 5, 1