Clarence Leslie "Stub" Ashcraft spent a career at the University of Arizona that spanned four decades/ He was a two-year football letterman, and after serving in the U.S. Army during World War II, returned to the UA as a coordinator for the Associated Students Organization. He was apointed the first director of the Student Union Memorial Building in 1951 and later shifted to Athletics in 1964 to direct event management and facilties operations. As such, he helped in the considerable expansion of UA's facilities including two additions to Arizona Stadium, and the building of McKale Canter and Sancet Field. He retired in 1982. Known throughout his career as "Stub" or "Stubbie", he was active in community affairs in a variety of efforts including the Tucson Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club and the Boy Scouts of America, among others.