Arizona women’s tennis closed out its conference opening weekend in dominating fashion on Saturday with a 4-0 victory over Oregon, moving the Cats to 14-1 for the season and 3-0 for conference play.
“We’ve had a good season so far,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “We have been able to dominate some of these really solid teams. We have really come out in all positions, especially with our No. 6; this takes the pressure off the top positions. Knowing that we can win in every position has really made a big difference for us this year.”
Arizona took the doubles point for the sixth-straight time this season. Freshman Lauren Marker and senior Kim Stubbe took the first point in the No. 2 spot, 8-3. Seniors Akilah James and Susan Mc Rann followed with another win in the No. 3 spot, 8-2.
Arizona is 13-0 when winning the doubles point.
In singles, Stubbe showed dominance early on in her singles match taking the first set at 6-0 and her second set at 6-1. Stubbe’s record is now 13-1.
“Kim is playing really well,” Maes said. “She is listening well, and she is striking the ball really well. She’s playing for the team.”
Marker won in straight sets over Oregon’s Sofia Hager, 6-3, 6-1 to put the Wildcats up at 3-0.
Senior Lacey Smyth clinched the match with a win in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1.
The Wildcats head to California next weekend to face No. 4 Stanford and No. 16 California. They will play Stanford on Friday, March 28 at 11:30 a.m. and California on Saturday, March 29 at noon. Friday’s match at Stanford will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.
For continued coverage of Arizona women’s tennis, visit ArizonaWildcats.com, follow @ArizonaWTennis on Twitter and Instagram, and on Facebook at facebook.com/ArizonaWomensTennis.
1. Smyth/Austin (UA) vs. Long/Minor (UO), 7-5 DNF
2. Stubbe/Marker (UA) def. Kluiving/Akesson (UO), 8-3
3. James/Mc Rann (UA) def. Hueffner/Hueffner (UO), 8-2
1. Lacey Smyth (UA) def. Nicole Long (UO), 6-3, 6-2
2. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Jasmine Minor (UO), 6-0, 6-1
3. Lauren Marker (UA) def. Sofia Hager (UO), 6-3, 6-1
4. Akilah James (UA) vs. Marlou Kluiving (UO), 4-6, 6-2 DNF
5. Shayne Austin (UA) vs. Allie Hueffner (UA) 6-1, 4-4 DNF
6. Susan Mc Rann (UA) vs. Lina Akesson (UO) 3-6, 6-2 DNF
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,3,1)