No. 40 Arizona Upsets No. 26 Texas Tech
Feb. 20, 2009
TUCSON - The No. 40 Arizona men's tennis team upset the No. 26 Texas Tech Red Raiders, 4-3, Friday afternoon.
The Wildcats (7-1) lost the doubles point, then dropped the first two singles matches, but game roaring back to win the last four singles matches to give the Wildcats the win. The Red Raiders fell to 1-3 on the season.
"This is a big win for the Arizona program," head coach Tad Berkowitz said after the match, "We just kept fighting and didn't give up, but that's the character of this team. We will enjoy the win tonight, but have to get ready for San Diego on Sunday."
The duo of Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco was the only doubles team that won its match. They defeated Michael Breler and Sinisa Markovic 8-6.
After Texas Tech won the doubles point, Markovic defeated Arango 6-3, 6-3 on position #2 and Gonzalo Escobar defeated Ravid Hazi 6-0, 6-0 in position #3, to give the Red Raiders a commanding 3-0 lead.
But the Wildcats did not give up and fought back to win the next four singles matches.
It started when Jay Goldman, ranked No. 88 in singles, upset No. 19 Raony Carvalho 6-2, 6-2 in position #1. Then Carrasco took care of Christian Rojmar in position # 4 7-5, 6-3. Freshman Jason Zafiros fought back to beat Milos Kustudija 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Finally the match rested on the soldiers of Pat "The Beast" Metham. With both sets of teammates cheering them on, Metham and Michael Breler battled to a third set. Metham prevailed winning the match 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.
For Arizona, it was the third upset of the season. The Wildcats upset No. 42 North Carolina State, 4-1, then upset No. 34 South Florida 5-2.
Arizona will be in action again on Sunday Feb. 22, when the take on No 50 San Diego at 10:00 a.m. The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1) Christian Rojmar/Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) 8-5
2) Michael Breler/Sinisa Markovic (TTU) def. Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-4
3) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Gonzalo Escobar/David Gonzalez (TTU) 8-6
Order: 2, 1, 3
1) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Raony Carvalho (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
2) Sinisa Markovic (TTU) def. Andres Arango (UA) 6-3, 6-3
3) Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-0, 6-0
4) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Christian Rojmar (TTU) 7-5, 6-3
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. Michael Breler (TTU) 7-5, 6-3, 6-1*
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Milos Kustudija (TTU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
Order: 3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5