March 23, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona’s No. 31-ranked women’s tennis team (11-4, 1-1) defeated No. 36 Washington in a 4-3 decision on Friday at Robson Tennis Center.
The win gave the Wildcats their ninth-consecutive home win, as they are undefeated at Robson this season.
Arizona started out strong, winning the doubles point for the sixth-consecutive match.
Senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) and sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) started the Wildcats off with an 8-3 win over Washington’s Smith and Nemcevic at the No. 1 spot.
Senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) were not far behind in their 8-3 defeat of Shimizu and Lukac at No. 2 doubles to seal the point for the Wildcats.
At No. 3 doubles, sophomores Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) and Susan Mc Rann (Dublin, Ireland) earned another win with their 8-5 victory over Gregoire and Paulovic.
In singles play, Marks kept her momentum up as she was the first to finish in her straight-set win over Andjela Nemvevic at the No. 2 spot to put Arizona up 2-0.
The Huskies earned two wins to tie the score at 2-2, but Landsman followed up with a straight-set win over Samantha Smith at the No. 3 spot to give the Wildcats the edge.
Smyth and No. 11 Denise Dy battled at No. 1 singles, as Smyth won the first set, 6-4 and Dy took the second set, 6-3. Smyth battled back to take set three, earn her first win over a player ranked in the top 15 and seal the win for Arizona.
“This was an important win for us,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “We knew going into the match that it was going to be close. We played efficiently in the doubles and got comfortable wins on all courts, but it got very close in singles play. I was pleased with how we competed and am proud of Lacey, Tash, and Sarah for putting the needed points on the board for us today.”
The Wildcats will have a quick turnaround as they will face No. 72 Oregon on Saturday, March 24 at noon.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to www.ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 4, Washington 3
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Smith/Nemcevic (Washington) 8-3
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Shimizu/Lukac (Washington) 8-3
3. Stubbe/Mc Rann def. (Arizona) Gregoire/Paulovic (Washington) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2*, 3
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Denise Dy (Washington), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Andjela Nemcevic (Washington), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Samantha Smith (Washington), 6-2, 6-3
4. Capucine Gregoire (Washington) def. Kim Stubbe (Arizona), 6-4, 6-6 (retired)
5. Julija Lukac (Washington) def. Susan Mc Rann (Arizona) 6-2, 6-3
6. Riko Shimizu (Washington) def. Debora Castany (Arizona), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 1*, 4