Dianne Hollands wins singles and doubles title.
Nov. 10, 2002
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - The Arizona women's tennis team completed play Saturday and Sunday at the Fall Desert Classic in Palm Springs, Calif. Sophomore Dianne Hollands claimed the singles crown, and Hollands teamed up with sophomore Kelly Perry to win the doubles title Sunday.
In singles action Saturday, No. 1-seeded junior Debbie Larocque was upset in the quarterfinal by UCLA's Jackie Carelton, 7-5, 6-2. In the consolation bracket, Perry advanced to the final round after her semifinals opponent, USC's Melissa Esmero, retired because of an injury. Perry went on to win the consolation bracket by defeating UCLA's Sarah Gregg, 7-6, 6-2. In main singles, Hollands won her quarterfinal match by defeating Stephanie Balzert of Baylor, 6-2, 6-2. Hollands, seeded No. 5 in the tournament, went on to upset No. 2-seeded Kendra Strohm of Texas in the semifinals, 6-0, 6-2.
Saturday's doubles action saw Arizona's duo of Hollands and Perry defeat USC's Tiffany Brymer and Anita Loyola, 8-6, in the quarterfinal. In the semifinals, Hollands and Perry downed LMU's Edit Pakay and Georgie Dinham, 8-2.
In the final round of singles play Sunday, Hollands defeated UCLA's Jackie Carelton, 6-1, 6-3, to win the singles title.
In the doubles final, Hollands and Perry competed against USC's Melissa Esmero and Maureen Diaz. Arizona took the first match, 9-8, and won the tiebreaker, 7-1, to claim the doubles title.
The Fall Desert Classic marked the final fall tournament for the women's tennis team. The Wildcats will be back in action for the regular season starting Jan. 17, 2003 at the Pac-10 Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash.
- ### -
Singles ( Quarterfinal, Main and Consolation)
1. Jackie Carelton (UCLA) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 7-5, 6-2
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Stephanie Balzert (Baylor), 6-2, 6-2
3. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Melissa Esmero (USC), 3-2, ret.
Singles (Main Semifinal, Consolation Finals)
1. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Kendra Strohm (Texas), 6-0, 6-2
2. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA), 7-6, 6-2
Singles (Main Final)
1. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Jackie Carelton (UCLA), 6-1, 6-3
1. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Brymer/Loyola (USC), 8-6
1. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Pakay/Dinham (LMU), 8-2
1. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Esmero/Diaz (USC), 9-8, 7-1